Tuesday 5 March 2013

The Circus of Horrors at the Royal & Derngate

Over here we have a talent show called 'Britain's Got Talent', it's basically the epicentre of the 'Got Talent' franchise (Though 'America's Got Talent' did air first, it was planned that 'Britain's Got Talent' would air first. This didn't happen because Paul O'Grady left the ITV network and media mogul Simon Cowell took the idea to America).

On series five, we got a peek at the Circus of Horrors, which was described as an extreme variety show. And finally I got an act who I wanted to win the show, since they weren't the usual dance or singing acts. In the end they didn't win, coming sixth in one of the semi finals, losing to Les Gibson (An impressionist, who in all fairness I did like), as well as a solo dancer and some pretty good handbell players. Which is actually a good thing because I thought they were on the last series and lost to a dog.

Now five years after that series though and seventeen years after its initial creation at the 1995 Glastonbury festival, the Circus of Horrors finds its way to the Royal & Derngate in Northampton.

And it was amazing.

I'm actually not sure where to start. I will say first of all that I did not see every act that they have. As stated in the programme, the acts they perform can be dangerous and they do rotate the cast. It would certainly explain why some of the characters look different from their pictures in the programme. That and the show would probably take about six hours.

Actually I do have to say that it isn't just a load of acts taking place, there is an actual story, they have thought of backgrounds, they have thought a lot about their characters and their stories. And the story does follow on from a previous tour, which is kind of disappointing. I'm basically coming into the story half way through, I've missed half the story, I mean, how would you feel coming into a film series halfway through?
Touche.

Okay fair enough, the story is a good touch, but it isn't essential to the performance. Though they do have a fascination with dolls; the programme tells a story of a doll called Robert, the Circus is run by a ventriloquists dummy, the Sinister Sisters move and act all doll-like. And as dolls can be the scariest things you ever lay eyes on, the Circus do it very well.

I will actually say this now, I loved the Sinister Sisters, primarily because of the doll-like movements they do, but also because of their acrobatics. Mainly their movements though, the way their legs move across the stage, to be able to give perform like that, to have no emotion, their performances were superb. Coming back to the point that there can be multiple things happening, I kept a close eye on the Sinister Sisters, and they do at times slowly move their heads, like dolls. In fact at that point I focused so much on them I've forgotten what the act they were doing it throughout was. And I managed to have a word with them, before and after the show, they can go from their Sinister Sisters persona to lively, friendly people at the click of a finger. And the make-up! Look at that picture, that make-up is fantastic.

Of course they aren't the only performers. We've also got Hannibal Hellmurto, a sword swallower with a forked tongue (I think we know how he got the forked tongue), on his return tour after a near death experience last year. We also have Anastasia IV who is hung by her hair most of the time, the Great Dandini, the sultry Doynamite, assistant to Psycho Sean the knife thrower, Kristantino the cabaret singer, and the undead ringmaster Doktor Haze. All of them are great characters, all them fantastic performers. Though the illusion is broken somewhat when you see they have a performer called Hannibal Hellmurto then a special effects guy called Andy. Anastasia IV has some great fireworks during her performances, Haze and, in particular, Kristantino are great singers, Hannibal is just crazy, and everyone else is either hilarious or really entertaining.

Basically, as I said earlier, this was amazing. I would definitely recommend that you go and see this if you can, you won't forget it in a hurry. It's hilarious, it's dark, it's entertaining, and when you get to talk to them they're really nice and friendly people. Believe me, the Circus of Horrors will provide one Hell of a night.

I already miss the Sinister Sisters...call me!

No comments:

Post a Comment