Saturday 10 November 2012

Silent Hill: Revelation 3D (2012)

I will first of all say that I have never played a Silent Hill game, therefore I don't really have that much experience or knowledge about the series. So when I saw the first Silent Hill film back in 2006, I went in blind. And in all fairness I thought the first Silent Hill film was pretty good, it has it's flaws, but it was pretty good. Then again if you want a review from a person who has played the games, go see Phelous' review, and you'll see the film isn't really that good an adaptation.

And six years later we get the sequel, 'Silent Hill: Revelation', the full title apparently adding '3D' on the end of the title. Here Rose (Radha Mitchell) somehow got hold of the Seal of Metatron and used it to transport Sharon (Erin Pitt), who has no memory of Silent Hill, to the real world and back to Chris (Sean Bean). Since then they have been moving nonstop to avoid the cult, now called the Order of Valtiel, now run by Claudia Wolf (Carrie-Ann Moss). Now called Harry (Bean) and Heather (Adelaide Clemens), they are discovered by a private investigator (Martin Donovan) and Harry is kidnapped by the Order. Heather and new friend Vincent (Kit Harington, yes it is Jon Snow) go on the run but eventually end up back in Silent Hill.

Okay that was a bit of an exposition dump but let's be honest, how else did you expect the plot to go? Especially since that was what the trailer effectively told us. There are however some slight hiccups, within this film  but mainly concerning continuity from the previous film.

Firstly, in the first film, the Alessa was burned because the cult (Which I don't ever recall being named in that film but apparently it's the same Cult) thought that Alessa was a witch. Or something along those lines. In this film, they did it because apparently they KNEW that she'd survive the fire and to prep her for being the vessel for their God (Which I don't believe was named). Second, as mentioned, this is the same cult from the first film, but the only safe place (In the first film) was the church, which was then infected by Alessa in the first film's finale. So where the Hell was THIS part of the cult? Were the only safe places in Silent Hill a church and the bunker hidden beneath a fairground?

Then, at the end of the first film, while it was left ambiguous, it was very likely that Alessa had merged with Sharon, and yet they're separate when Sharon returns to the real world. Why? Was it because of the method used to get her back to the real world? This is never explained! Next, I thought Alessa controlled the monsters in Silent Hill? She definitely controlled Pyramid Head (This film confirms it) but I thought she controlled the others as well, but apparently the Order control them. Actually this is explained and I'll come across this later.

You know what, I will commend Michael J. Bassett (The director and writer) for not only linking the film back to the game series, but for trying to link in the first film as well, but the problem that arises is that the story gets really confusing as it conflicts with the history set by the previous film.

Not only that, but the film has a weird habit of repeating itself. The first case was when Heather was telling Vincent that she has to go to Silent Hill after Vincent says she can't go. The film then cuts to Heather sleeping and having another dream about the fairground and Alessa, before waking up for Vincent to say she can't go to Silent Hill and she says she has to. Again. Then there are the moments where the film constantly tells us that Heather is Sharon/Alessa's good side...or her daughter...or her sister...or her.

Moving along, the effects, are pretty mix and match. I will say that there some amazing visuals, the fairground on fire is the main one, the ghost town of Silent Hill for another, and there are some other...unique and pretty good shots as well. Unfortunately there are some off bits, particularly in the creatures, like the mannequin spider...thing. Which shoots webbing. Somehow.

Acting, there isn't really anything to approve of. Sean Bean is the best actor in this bit he's hardly in this, and at times you get the feeling he's thinking "God how did I end up back here?". Clemens was pretty bland as Heather, but she did give a much better performance as Alessa. Harrington as Vincent wasn't really that memorable either, in fact he was on form at the beginning, but he appeared to lose his footing as the film went on.

And then we have what are effectively cameo performances from Mitchell, Moss, Malcolm McDowell, and Deborah Kara Unger. I suppose you could say they gave decent performances, but nothing spectacular. Mitchell's scene was to only confirm that Heather was Sharon, and Unger's (Unger reprising her role as Dahlia) scene was to (Again) repeat a scene which had happened before, except put Dahlia in Vincent's role.

Carrie-Ann Moss. I'll tell you now, I've only seen her in the Matrix series, and I hated her. I really did. And after seeing her in this, my opinion has not changed. She really didn't have much of an impact, and she's supposed to be the main villain of the film. McDowell meanwhile, I'm not entirely sure. I guess I kind of expected more from him, or to actually portray his character as more...eccentric? Psychotic? He just wasn't up to par as per normal.

And that's actually the thing with this film, you expect more. You are left waiting for something spectacular to happen, and yet nothing does. Like I said, I will praise Bassett for actually trying to make the film closer to the games than the first film did, and Clemens did give a really good performance as Alessa.

But, despite what Bassett did, it resulted in a plot that was just too convoluted. The acting is sub par, at best, the effects can't decide whether to be good or bad, and you virtually learn nothing from the characters. The pointless character from the mannequin-spider, had ONE line, that's how pointless she was. It really is amazing when Pyramid Head outshines the rest of your cast.

And while I don't have much experience with the games, I do get the weirdest impression that the games are meant to be scary. The film, or rather both films, are not. They both work out more as action dramas, rather than even attempt to scare the viewer. In fact, it goes the same way as 'Sinister' and tries to creep the audience out rather than terrify. And like 'Sinister' it fails completely.

In all honesty, this film felt more like a test, an experiment, a way to work out the kinks. It's weird, I want to say this is a bad film, I want to say this is horrendous, I want to say this is awful. And I will. But, in a strange way, I can't totally condemn this film, I can only guess that it's because I can see that Bassett did actually try to put some effort into this. It doesn't mean I'll be rushing out to see it again though, maybe if it's on the television.

No comments:

Post a Comment